Thursday, September 27, 2007

Progress

Since my new healthy lifestyle changes implemented one week ago today, I have lost 2.4 lbs, and I feel so much better. It is amazing how good food and exercise can make you feel.

I'm glad I finally got out of this 9 month down cycle that the herniated disk in my neck caused. I've never been in so much pain where I had to take valium and vicodin on a regular basis. It has been really tough.

I feel like I am out of the woods and back on the upswing. I hope that by taking it slow and concentrating on the stretching and strengthening I will protect my neck injury and still be able to be active and have a good time walking 5ks and 10ks. If I can jog or run in the future, fine, but I am satisfied with walking. I can walk really fast and get a good aerobic response. Right now I can do 2 miles in 34 minutes. That includes a warmup walk for 5 minutes. I want to see if I can do 2 miles in 30 minutes.

I can't compare my old running self to my new walking self because my body is different now after the injury. However, I do like to have goals. It keeps me focused.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that is great! Nothing wrong with walking. Trust me, I'm going to be doing a lot of it in December during my 24 hour race. Some of the people who do that race don't do anything but walk. Better to be walking than not be able to do anything, that's for sure.

Hopefully, you can come out for the Rock n' Roll Marathon. There are going to be a whole bunch of bloggers coming in from out of town to do the race and we are planning to have some kind of get-together so everyone can meet.

Pokey said...

I followed your blog long ago, before I got into blogging myself...and I have to say it's good to see you back!

There are TONS of folks for RNR....hope you can make it too!